When it comes to ladder safety, some people, such as workers in the construction industry, know exactly what they should and should not be doing. Conversely, there will always be people who assume that using a ladder is simple, which can lead to an accident.
Basic ladder safety is often overlooked. Here are some tips that you should always keep in mind:
- Never use a ladder if you are tired or under the weather
- Do not use a ladder in rain or high winds
- Always wear slip-resistant shoes (and keep them clean)
- Inspect the ladder before taking the first step
- Use the right ladder for the job
- Place the ladder on firm and level ground
- Never place a ladder in front of a closed door
- There is never a good time for more than one person to use a ladder
- If you spot a defect or problem with a ladder, don't use it
When you follow these basic ladder safety tips, it's much easier to avoid trouble that could lead to serious injury or even death.
As a worker who uses ladders on a regular basis, you can't afford to get lazy in regards to safety. You need to do what's best for you, day after day.
If you are involved in a ladder accident, such as slipping and falling from height, you should call for immediate medical assistance, receive treatment and also report the incident to your employer.
In the event that you are unable to return to work as a result of your injuries, you may be able to file a claim for workers' compensation benefits.
Source: American Ladder Institute, "Basic Ladder Safety," accessed Aug. 16, 2017