CALL US (402) 491-4003

What Happens When I File a WC Claim?

When you file a workers’ compensation claim, your employer must pay for treatment of your work-related injuries and a portion of the income you missed out on while absent from work because of the injury.

Filing a workers’ compensation claim is a routine matter; it is much more like reporting a car accident to your auto insurance company than it is like filing a personal injury lawsuit, like a customer who got injured in an accident while visiting a place of business might do. Nebraska’s workers’ compensation law requires employers to carry workers’ compensation insurance. By filing a workers’ compensation claim with your employer, you can access payment for treatment of your work-related injury through your employer’s insurance instead of using your own health insurance to pay for it or paying out of pocket.

Some chronic illnesses count as occupational diseases of certain professions, and workers’ compensation may pay for treatment associated with those diseases, too. Workers’ compensation also pays disability benefits on a temporary or permanent basis, depending on how long you are unable to work because of your injury. If you need help filing a workers’ compensation claim or resolving disputes related to a claim you have already filed, contact the Omaha workers’ compensation lawyers at Andres Law Offices, PC LLO.

Your Rights as a Claimant in a Workers’ Compensation Case

If you get injured at work, you have the right to file a workers’ compensation claim. Filing a workers’ comp claim is a legally protected activity, which means that your employer cannot fire you or deny you a promotion because of it. When necessary, you can go to court to resolve disputes about your workers’ compensation claim. You may choose to represent yourself in your workers’ compensation case or to hire a workers’ compensation lawyer.

The Workers’ Compensation Claim Process

You should notify your employer of your injury as soon as it occurs. If you need emergency treatment, go immediately to the emergency room. Notify the doctor who treats you that the injury occurred at work and that they should contact your employer about filing a claim with your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance. After the initial emergency treatment, your employer will refer you to a case manager to coordinate follow up treatment, temporary disability benefits, and other aspects of your claim.

Contact Andres Law Offices, PC LLO About Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim

An Omaha workers’ compensation lawyer can help you file and follow up on a workers’ compensation claim after a work injury or the diagnosis of an occupational disease. Contact Andres Law Offices, PC LLO in Omaha, Nebraska about your case.